Wednesday 16 January 2008

Funny newspaper phrases

Journalists love nothing more than a good "knobbly monster" - a desperate attempt not to use the same word again . . . when there is only one. Named after Paul Hudson, who was writing about alligators when, having used up "reptiles", he resorted to "the knobbly monsters".

Here are some classic funny newspaper knobbly monsters (compiled by Tom Churchill of The Scottish Sun)

Cake: The carefully baked-treat (News of the World)

Lemurs: The furry, stripy-tailed creatures (The Sun)

Bakery: The bread production unit (The Sun)

5 comments:

Sharon said...

So how did the Editor fare last night? Planning your retirement yet?

Sharon said...

this comment should have been posted under Dodgy Bets!!!!

Scooped! Spoof Newspapers said...

My coupon was busted by the mighty Havant and Waterlooville - I kid you not and, no, I'd never heard of them.
Man City, Dundee United and Newcastle all up then league one leaders Swansea at 9/4 on lose to a team from from the Blue Square South league. No, I'd never of that either.
Aaaaarghhh.
By the way, check out the adult gifts section on wwww.makingthenews.co.uk I think I sent a link to an old email address. It's good for a laugh - but prepared for a shock!!

Sharon said...

oh no, I'm not falling for that...I've heard all about those pictures and I'm deeply disturbed!!!!

Scooped! Spoof Newspapers said...

Just supply a headshot and Scooped! can make you a ScoopStunner.